"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, His love endures forever." Psalm 118:1
When I was in elementary school, I remember learning a word in math, it was the word "infinite." I don't remember all the specifics about it, but I do remember it meaning an endless order of numbers on both the positive side as well as the negative side. Never ending, it just keeps going and going - one more number after the previous number. It was a bit challenging to understand. I wanted to comprehend the end of all numbers, but there wasn't an end.
Later that year, I remember studying science, and there being a discussion about our solar system and the Milky Way Galaxy. The question being asked was, "Where is the end of the universe?" What an incredible question. Then I asked the teacher, "If there is an end to the universe, what's on the other side of it?"
Never ending, ongoing, and continuous - these words are powerful, and they lend themselves to the power of eternity and not stopping. We should always be thankful, but the truth is, some things are so common - we forget to be thankful. How about this, as you enjoy Thanksgiving day, I pray that you and I would both take a special moment to simply be thankful. Here's a starter list to be thankful for today that you might not always remember:
- That the sun still worked and you felt its warmth.
- For wonderful memories of smell and tastes.
- For the words of affirmation that you have heard in your life.
- For that time you heard a joke and laughed.
- For that time you were in a hurry and you knew where your keys were.
- When you remembered your password.
- The brakes worked on your car or that other person's car.
- The gas station wasn't closed yet.
- You just saw a new born baby being held.
- When you saw the beautiful colors of a sunset.
- Someone held the door open for you.
- You found that french fry you dropped.
- When you wadded the paper and tossed it toward the garbage can and it went in.
- When you turned on the water and it was warm.
- When the electrical cord was long enough to reach the outlet.
God is good. Thank you Lord for the memories!